Maalox suspension works by lowering the amount of acid in your stomach.
Maalox suspension is used for: heartburn or when your stomach has too much acid (indigestion) and for the inflammation of the stomach (gastritis
How to take Maalox suspension:
- Shake well before use to ensure the product is mixed properly
- Take this medicine by mouth
- If necessary, Maalox suspension may be taken with water or milk
Adults, the elderly and children aged 14 years or older: Take two to four 5ml teaspoonfuls. Take 20 minutes to 1 hour after meals and at bedtime.
Maalox suspension is not recommended for children less than 14 years of age
Do not take Maalox suspension:
- If you are allergic to aluminium hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide or any of the other ingredients in Maalox suspension (please see leaflet enclosed with your medicine). Signs of an allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- If you are feeling very weak and have no energy (debilitated)
- If you have kidney problems. Long term exposure to high doses of Maalox suspension can lead to dementia.
- If you have severe stomach pain
- If your bowel is partially or fully blocked
Do not take this medicine if any of the above apply to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Maalox suspension.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine:
- If you are on a low-phosphorous diet Maalox suspension and other medicines Maalox suspension should not be taken at the same time as other medicines. This is because Maalox suspension can affect the way other medicines work. Some medicines may be affected by magnesium hydroxide or they may affect how well magnesium hydroxide will work.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking: – salicylates.
In particular, Maalox suspension can affect the following medicines:
- Some medicines used to treat infections such as tetracycline, ciprofloxacin, rifampicin and ketoconazole
- Medicines for malaria such as chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine
- Chlorpromazine – used for mental illness (psychosis)
- Polystyrene sulphonate – used to treat high levels of potassium in the blood
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine:
- If you are pregnant, might become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant. You should not take Maalox suspension during the first three months of pregnancy
- You are breast-feeding or planning to breastfeed
Maalox suspension contains sorbitol (E420). If you have been told by your doctor that you cannot tolerate or digest some sugars, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine Maalox suspension contains less than 1 mmol sodium (23 mg) per 5 ml dose, i.e. essentially ‘sodium free
Active ingredients: each 5ml of suspension contains 175mg aluminium hydroxide, 200mg magnesium hydroxide
Other ingredients: hydrochloric acid, citric acid monohydrate, peppermint oil, mannitol (E421), domiphen bromide, saccharin sodium, sorbitol liquid (E420), hydrogen peroxide and purified water.